Education plays a vital role in every security services company in Singapore. Also, employers should be stringent when analysing the fit of potential employees when they apply for a security officer job in Singapore.
Personal health safety
This aspect of workplace safety emphasizes the need for organizations to address the spread of illness and disease, the importance of personal hygiene and other health-related issues. Workers should, therefore, be educated about the importance of maintaining high hygiene practices and using proper hand washing methods as a means to stopping the spread of germs and preventing disease. For workers employed in the fields of chemicals, irritants and other harmful substances, it is important that such individuals are taught and informed about the importance of maintaining proper skin care as well as the use of barrier creams and protective gloves.
Educating employees about personal health and safety can be achieved through the following:
- To hang posters in areas where employees wash their hands and change out of uniforms
- Hosting seminars on the spread of germs and disease, and inviting medical professionals or toxicologists can be an informative and direct way to teach personal hygiene
- Taking employees on a tour of similar businesses to observe or demonstrate how other businesses handle personal health safety. This will take a more comparative approach between the two workplaces. Such standards of workplace safety can be attributed to safety consultancies in Singapore.
Slip and fall safety
This type of workplace safety is considered to be one of the most common causes of work-related injuries in the business. In order to prevent slip and fall accidents in the workplace, it is vital to keep floors clean, dry and free of obstructions at all times. In addition, it is equally important to teach employees to;
- Become aware of possible dangers from water spills, dust from machines and spots of grease or oil
- Clean up or warn others about hazardous areas in the organization
- Be aware of changing floor surfaces
- Wear appropriate footwear
Workplace violence safety
Workplace violence presents a significant threat to personal danger and has become a serious concern in the workplaces. One best way to teaching workplace violence safety is to ensure an effective communication channel on this subject. It may include; providing seminars and distributing pamphlets to employees about workplace violence, facilitating group discussions (small groups of five) between employees may also help teach employees about workplace violence, showing videos of workplace violence occurrences and prevention methods is another way to addressing violence in the workplaces.
This type of safety is concerned and focuses on making working environments comfortable and convenient for workers. For example, this includes making sure that items such as desks and seats are placed at proper heights and well positioned to prevent muscular or skeletal strain or injuries. The following methods can be used to teach workers about ergonomic safety:
- Invite a chiropractor and ergonomic specialist to discuss each employee’s ergonomic behaviours. After the consultation, the specialist can review the employee’s workstation to make changes to conform to the chiropractor’s recommendations.
- Distributing pamphlets discussing two major ergonomic concerns in the workplace such as proper seating at a computer and keyboard height.
Studies have proven that many industries and workplaces have varying and specific types of safety concerns. These include:
- Asbestos in construction
- Aerial platform safety
- Construction site hygiene
- Proper handling of power tools
- Hearing loss prevention and noise
- Safety handling inflammable liquid